GULAB JAMUN (INDIA)
- 2 cups full cream milk powder
- 1 cup self raising flour
- 1/2 cup fine semolina
- thickened cream, to knead
- vegetable oil for deep frying
- 2 1/4 cups sugar
- 3 cups water
- 3 tsp rose water
1. For the dumplings mix the milk powder, flour, semolina and cream together and knead lightly to form a soft dough. Divide the mixture into 25 portions and shape into balls.
2. For the sugar syrup, boil the water and sugar until the sugar dissolves completely and the syrup is of one-string consistency when tested. When cool, stir in the rose water.
3. Heat the oil and carefully lower the balls in, a few at a time, gently shaking the oil constantly so that they become uniformly brown. Remove and immerse in the sugar syrup. Repeat until all the balls are fried. Soak the dumplings for an hour in the syrup.
4. Serve warm. Or cold. Or whatever. Just serve.