These steamed rice cakes kept popping up for breakfast all over the show. We’d prefer an omelette, quite frankly, but hey, when in South India…
You’ll need a special idli plate thing to cook these. If you don’t have one, we can totally recommend a great restaurant in Hong Kong where you can feast on these for brunch 🙂 Alternatively, you could go to South India.
- 3 cups par boiled rice
- 1 1/2 cups split black gram
- 1 tsp fenugreek seeds
- salt to season
- Soak the rice in water for 40 minutes and the split black gram for 20 minutes (the water level should be way above the rice).
- Grind seperately the rice and the split black gram (add the fenugreek seeds when grinding the gram). Both should be finely ground.
- Mix the two batters with salt and keep aside to ferment for 10-12 hours. Keep in a warm place for it to rise.
- Pour the batter into the receptacles in idli plates and steam in a cook for 7 minutes. Repeat until the batter is used up. Serve hot with coconut chutney.